Thursday, October 11, 2007

Brazilian Cherries and other lies…

I grew up spending a lot of time, or a greater portion than I desired, at my father's workshop. One of the few treasures, perks if you will, of this job were the abundance of Brazilian Cherries available for me to sup on.

Brazilian Cherries taste like poison. A bitter and disconcerting taste. But I always figured that was because the tree had grown out of a swamp of sump oil. But there were two great things about this lavishly abundant treat which aligned perfectly with my demands; they were free, and they were food. Or were they?

I just looked outside my office window and was overcome with nostalgia upon seeing that they were growing outside my very window. As pictured…




Pretty little berries aren't they? Does anyone know what I have been eating? Because on googling I has found that Brazilian Cherries actually look like this…




Which is perhaps why I never had co compete with birds for them. Anyone? Anyone? Would be keen to know.

6 comments:

awkward egg said...

They’re either Pigeon Plums, Salmon Berries, Choke Cherries, or Buffalo Grapes.

I remember those things. Maybe they were mutants.

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

Sorry, I was off leaving another horrifying-clothes comment on your last post.

I suspect Jules is right. Growing out of sump oil, they might well be mutants.

But come on -- you used to eat prawn heads. Whole. On purpose. What are you worried about...?

Aaron Lewis said...

Which is the perfect segmentway for my next BLOG.

Cathy said...

have added you to my blog roll call - i'll be back :)

Dan said...

I just want you to know that your mother was right. Here is a URL to look at. I must say that googling images of berry is a rewarding thing. Halle features much more prominently than Straw.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/101342450/Brazilian_Cherry_Eugenia_Uniflora_Or_Pitanga.html

Francesco Volponi said...

I know I am like 1 year late on this,but I know what you were eating, they are called surinam cherries and ys they taste like turpentine but if they are very ripe they almost taste ok, her in Maui we have lots of them they are a great hedge bush